Friday, November 18, 2011

Week Three, day three - my first morning run (EVER)

Ok, I think I maybe went running five or six times in my life in the "morning." by "morning" I mean 11.30am after I had slept 10 hours and it was a beautiful spring day and I wasn't working (that was about 3.5 years ago). it doesn't count.

Today I woke up, had a glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice (thanks to my boyfriend - the night before I made him promise over and over that he would help push me out of bed and he agreed), put on my running clothes and my new sneakers, and left. Before coffee. Before breakfast.

I understand this does not make me the most hardcore person on earth, but holy god. I don't even enjoy running that much. I'm not a morning person. And I am insanely, fully addicted to coffee. I also hate running/excercising on an empty stomach - I need a bit of fuel, even if it's half a banana. Oh, and by the way, I make it sound like i woke up at the crack of dawn but really I got out of bed at 8.30am and was out the door a little before 9am. this is early to me. seriously early. Around 9am I am usually drinking coffee in bed, cuddled up with my boyfriend, trying to convince myself to get up and get ready for the day. (I'll emphasize that this is possible only because my commute to work is a 10 minute bike ride)

so there I was, going outside my house without coffee or breakfast, dressed in running pants, sneakers, a long-sleeve shirt and a sweatshirt. the weather was great today - maybe about 8 degrees but sunny and quite humid, which made it feel warm. I didn't need gloves or any more layers. And I used my new sneakers - purchased yesterday for €100. I wasn't looking forward to spending money for shoes that aren't super cute, but I have to say I could feel the difference, and it was really significant. money well spent, I suppose.

The run was fine - felt harder to lift my legs because of the lack-of-coffee thing, but I made it through. and just like previous runs, it was much easier toward the end, and I tacked on two extra minutes. so I did:

5 min warmup walk
90 sec jogging
90 sec walking
3 min jogging
3 min walking
90 sec jogging
90 sec walking
3 min jogging
+2 extra minutes jogging
6 minute walking/cooldown

and that's it for week three! next time I go out I'll be in week four.

I'll say this - I didn't particularly love the morning run, and I'm much much more of a night person. but it's good to know that it is at least possible, and it gives me room to relax about the rest of the day and not worry about where I'll fit it in. .. maybe I'll do this once a week or so. the hardest part is just giving up extra cuddle time!

No comments:

Post a Comment