Thursday, November 24, 2011

Week Four, day three

I did my last day of week four last night! I know this doesn't seem like a big deal, but the fact that I've managed to be committed to this program for four weeks is already longer than any other running phase I've been through in the past 8-9 years. I've done all my runs outside, and by a ridiculous stroke of luck it has not rained once when I've wanted to run.

Last night was the perfect temperature - maybe about 8-9C or so, and I wore a tank top, teeshirt, 3-quarter sleeve shirt, and a very light zip-up. I could have gone without one of those layers and been fine, but again, I'd rather be overdressed then cold. I made it through the run without any major issues, and during the last run I even tacked on an extra 30-60 seconds, so I should be ready for week five. I'm getting paranoid about my knees and ankles and my running "form" as I'm sure my form is not correct, and I sometimes have a little knee pain, cramps in my feet, or something like that. Nothing too major, and I always stretch before and after, but I wonder if I should look for more specific warmup/cooldown techniques. This really is the first time I've ever run on uneven pavement - which includes a lot of old brick and cobblestone roads - and I don't want to end up slowly hurting myself. I should really start doing pilates or yoga on a regular basis.

My feelings about running after four weeks are:

-- I still don't really LIKE the actual act of running
-- I do like that I'm forced to go outside and run around for thirty minutes a day
-- I have a new sense of appreciation for how beautiful Amsterdam is and I love discovering new routes to take myself on
-- I am always happy once the workout is over; I've certainly never regretted my jogs
-- I like that this is something I can do in 30 minutes
-- I would never be doing this if it weren't for the app
-- I do think I'm sleeping better and becoming more tired at night because of the exercise, which is great


So far I've spent roughly €175 on new shoes, pants, and sweatshirts to wear while running outside. Jeez. It looks like week five is when this is supposed to be harder, but I haven't looked at my app to find out what's coming up. I think I'm supposed to be jogging 20 minutes without stopping by week five, day three. Hmmm. Wonder if that's going to happen.

This is also thanksgiving weekend, and even though I'm in Europe I'm celebrating by making a giant feast for 20 people on Saturday, and then hosting a giant lunch on Sunday. I just have to make sure to get my runs in there on Friday (I have no idea where it's going to fit on Friday) and maybe somehow on Saturday, once the turkey is in the oven. And I really, really must update my running playlists, because if I hear "American Music" by the Violent Femmes one more time, I'm going to lose my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment