Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Week Six, day three... 25 minute run!!!

And I did it! I ran 25 minutes without a break! It's hard to write that without using an exclamation point!

All day I wondered how I was going to do this run... I have plans with a friend for dinner, my job is pounding me with work, and getting up to run before work wasn't an option as it was pouring rain when I woke up. However, by 10-11am, the skies were perfectly blue, the sun was shining, and even though it was chilly outside (7-8C) it wasn't terribly windy or painful to actually BE outside.

Work started from the second I got out of bed, and I ended up working from home. And this is what allowed me the chance to run while it was still light! I was totally swamped until 3.30pm or so, but I could see some calm on the horizon. I put on my running clothes and headed out around 4pm. Because I barely had time to think about running, I didn't have the chance to build up anxiety about whether or not I could do this. But today's program was clearly:

Walk 5 min
Run 25 min
Walk 5 min

And I did it. And it wasn't super hard. Sure, I was breathing hard at the end and I was really tired and I wasn't particularly loving the whole thing, but running under the sunshine, in the park, etc.... I have to admit, it wasn't so bad. It feels incredible to have done this. Now that I'm someone who can actually run for 25 minutes, I have a few tips for anyone who wants to do the same but thinks they can't:

1. Always do the warmup and cooldown, always. the five minutes walk at the beginning should be brisk and get the heart rate up, and you should NOT skip it. it's the best warmup there is. I also know how tempting it can be to just simply collapse after the run is over and not do the 5 minute cool-down walk, but walking it out helps. Don't walk too slow at the end, just take it nice and easy and get your breathing back under control. Don't stop to catch your breath, if you feel like you have to do that, then just walk even slower.

2. go SLOW if you're new to this. I'm sure I am the slowest runner in the city, and I don't care. Going slow is what is enabling me to keep going forward with this program - I'm absolutely positive by the end of the 9 weeks I won't be able to fit a 5k in 30 minutes. that's fine. I just want to know that I can run 30 minutes. speed can come later. (I have no idea what my pace is)

3. Change your route, and avoid using a treadmill. Again, I hated running outside for 32 years of my life. I had attempted outside running only a handful of times. as it turns out, running outside is ten million times better than running on a treadmill. Trust me on this, I've tried before, I've tried both, and once you get used to working around the elements of weather, running outside is the best. Having stuff to look at (not TV or a countdown) is key.

anyway. wow. 25 minutes! I still can't believe it.

2 comments:

  1. so what happened? Did you do it by the end of the year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. sadly I didn't! too much holiday cheer combined with sickness and shit weather got the best of me. but I'm coming back. :) thanks for the comment, it's a nice kick in the ass to get me up!

    ReplyDelete