Thursday, December 8, 2011

Week Five, day three - I DID IT!

I made it through week five, day three on December 2nd! I haven't posted about it due to lack of time, but it did happen. The schedule was this:

5 minute warmup walk
20 minutes running without stopping (!)
5 minute cool down

In order to fit this run into my schedule (which has been jam-packed with work), I ran from my house to a work-related meeting (fortunately this meeting was with someone who is also a friend and didn't mind that I showed up sweaty and wearing running clothes). it was a totally new route for me, to go from my apartment (near central station in amsterdam) to my friend's studio in the oud west, a neighborhood that I never thought of being reachable on foot before. I had no idea if the distance would work, or if my run through the city center was a good idea, but at the end it turned out to be perfect. When the 20 minute run was done, I was almost at the studio - so I took another 10 minutes to walk around, cool down, and streach.

The weather was good - clear, about 8C, no rain. the run - the twenty minute run, which I haven't done in at least 8-9 years - was hard, of course. I did get bored (this is why I always hated running, I find it boring) but the city scenery and taking a new route did help immensely. When I heard the app guy tell me "you are halfway done" I felt relieved, but I also felt like "are you kidding me, that means I have halfway to go." I did look at my ipod when I was nearing the end of the run even though I know that's a bad idea, but luckily I only had about 2:30 left to go at that time, so it didn't discourage.

The best part is, I felt perfectly fine when I was done. Tired, yes. Breathing hard, yes. but I didn't feel like I would throw up and I didn't feel horrible - I felt good. I felt SUPER proud of myself. I kept thinking about it for the rest of the night.

Now the unfortunate thing is, it's December 8th and I haven't run again. I should have. But I spent the weekend in Antwerp, and this week was insane again with work... and weather. the weather has really taken a turn for proper amsterdam winter, which means sporadic rain throughout the day (along with hail every so often) and WIND. crazy, strong, horrible wind. I can't imagine running outside like this.

I'm super worried that I'll be able to start with week six after taking off for about five days. if I don't go today ... I know. I know I have to, but... man, this weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment