Saturday, December 10, 2011

week six, day one... yup, that's what I get for taking a week off!

Ooof. it's been seven days since I last ran, which happened for a variety of reasons - work, work-related parties (that time of year...), terrible weather, etc. Last night (Friday) I had 2 glasses of wine with work people, then 2 strong beers with my boyfriend, and then a nice serving of (homemade) mushroom risotto. so it wasn't what I would call a "light" kind of night. I came home around 11pm and smoked almost an entire hash joint by myself (remember folks, it's legal in the Netherlands).

I woke up today (Saturday) feeling fine. My boyfriend and I slept in, and then he made a super nice saturday brunch - eggs with green salsa, beans, and a few slices of fresh-from-the-bakery bread. Super yummy, but again, not what I would call a "light" start to the day.

Today was great. SUNNY!! Clear! not terribly cold! (8C-ish or so) and I knew I had to run. So I put on my pants and two long sleeve shirts and started to stretch a bit. ouch, I felt my body very un-streached. but ok, I just had to get into it, right? I took a look at my ipod to see the program for the day, and was surprised to see:

5 min warmup walk
5 min jogging
3 min walking
8 min jogging
3 min walking
5 min jogging
5 min cool down

That's... easier! It's easier than week five, day 3. it's 18 minutes total jogging, with breaks. I was SO relieved to see that I didn't have to run for 20 straight minutes again. ok, I thought. I know I've been off a week, and I know I haven't had the healthiest lifestyle lately, but ok. I decided I could do it. And I did! but it was hard. as I kept running I was starting to feel the effects of the booze and/or hash and/or all the food I had eaten recently. I felt not great. Not really in danger of throwing up, but I felt very anxious to drink water (which I never do when I jog) and just be done with the whole thing. Thank god it was nice and sunny out, and I guess it's a sign that the program is working when I know that I can actually push myself and get through the last five minute run, even though i wanted to lay down and sleep. so good news is, I was able to do it. bad news is, I really did feel like crap throughout most of the run and for about 30-45 minutes after it was over.

I promise, no more week-long breaks.

If I want to do the 5k by the end of the year, that means eleven more runs in the next 3 weeks. that means I must go running tomorrow, and then every other day (on average) in order to meet my goal. Luckily I stop working on Dec 20th or 21st so I can get my runs in while it's light outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment