Sunday, December 11, 2011

Week Six, day two - my first non-solo run!

Today's run was this:

5 min warmup walk
10 min running
3 min walking
10 min running
5 min cooldown.

And the important thing is I did it! And for the very first time, my boyfriend E came along with me - E is much better shape than me, he's one of those people that others look on with envy. Almost 40 years old but with a body that most 25-year old guys could be jealous of, and even if he doesn't keep up with exercise (the last time he ran was 5 months ago, and since then he's done a handful of pushups and that's pretty much it) he can pretty much get back into shape in 1-2 weeks. So despite the fact that he A) claims not to be a good runner and B) hasn't really worked out a whole lot in the past year, of course he had no problem completing the workout with me.  Do I hate him for this? A bit. but I hate him with love. :)

but let me paint a picture about why today's run was not the best - and heads up, the rest of this entry all falls under the "TMI" category, and men probably won't find much to relate to.

First of all, I got my period around noon today, along with the typical period-related cramps. Second, I had a lazy sunday breakfast of a small croissant, a piece of fresh croissant with jam and goat cheese, juice, and two cups of coffee (espresso-size). I did not have a proper "exodus" of all this (read: the sort of exodus one has in the bathroom) before I went out running. During the first run, I felt like everything in my body wanted desperately to come out. Ugh. During the second run, it was even more intense. And during that last five minute walk? My focus was very much on counting down the seconds until I could use the bathroom. All was fine after I got home, but MAN. next time, must pay more attention to what my body is dealing with.

I'm sure a lot of other women don't feel particularly enthusiastic about running three hours after they start their period, and there's nothing much to do about it except go running anyway. At the end of the day, it does actually make me feel better to work out on day #1 of my period - getting everything moving and helping gravity along tends to make my cramps (which aren't horrible, but they do exist) much, much less intense. But yes, it's hard to remember that when I'm outside running and my uterus is trying to destroy my body from the inside.

I quite enjoyed having my boyfriend with me, even though I wouldn't talk to him during the running portions (talking while jogging is still too advanced for me, and I rely on music to help keep me motivated), and he was also quite pleased that he went out. I can't believe the next run is 25 minutes non-stop, and that from here on out all the run will be straight runs without walking. and the weather isn't looking particularly great this week. well, good luck to me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment