Thursday, January 5, 2012

Week Seven, and here it starts to get messy

Ok, I was beat. The end of the year was crazy with work, holidays, friends, parties, dinners, and sooooooooo much drinking. and eating. And then I got kind of sick, and the weather turned horrible (well, even worse, let's say). I finished week seven sometime in the last week of December and haven't run since.

I mean guys, it's windy. rainy. not really cold but it just won't stop raining and the wind is seriously intense. When I tried running feeling a little bit sick, it was horrible. for the last run, I think I made it through about 14 minutes of running, then I walked about 3-4 minutes, then I ran for another 8-9 minutes. something like that, and it was hard.

I need to try going to the gym and using a treadmill, it's the only thing that's going to work to get me through the winter. Even with pretty warm January temps (about 8-9C during the day, 5C at night) the rain and wind is just too hard to work around. If I don't get lucky and grab the few hours where it's calm and dry, I'm screwed.

So sad to say, I didn't make my 5K goal by the end of 2011. :( but still, I did 25 minute runs more than once, and I think I can pick it back up. I desperately need to detox after all the celebration I've been doing and I am eager to get back into a routine. I'm still just a tiny bit sick, but it's more like winter malaise than anything else - kind of stuffy, coughing once in a while, runny nose.

So my new goal is this: by 15 February, I want to be able to run a confident 5K AND to have lost 3 kilos (6.6 lbs). I'm going to try treadmill running later today and see how it goes... I'm surprised at how much I'm dreading it when I compare it to running outside. But even for health reasons, going to the gym, you know, puts me at the gym which means I might do other exercises as well, which wouldn't hurt. There's also a fantastic sauna at my gym which helps immensely during these winter months.

Back to running, blogging, and trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment