Sunday, January 15, 2012

Week Nine, day one - THIRTY MINUTES! goal achieved!

Ok, I'm 15 days past my goal but I can finally say: I DID IT. Today I ran 30 minutes in a row without stopping. so that's

5 minutes walking
30 minutes running
5-10 minutes walking

It was a beautiful day today - around 8C, tons of sun, perfect blue skies. I couldn't fathom the concept of running inside on a treadmill, so I stuck with running outside (me and every other runner in Amsterdam had the same idea) through westerpark. I know I was slow, but without having a GPS on my ipod I don't know my pace, which is fine with me. Running outside means I'm not distracted by drinking water, checking my time/pace, or starting at myself in the mirror, and all of that is great.

It's worth mentioning that last night I had a big sushi dinner, drank a total of 5 beers, and smoked quite a lot of weed. I didn't sleep that well (gee, I wonder why?), and there was not one tiny part of me that actually wanted to go out running today. But I wanted so badly to achieve my goal, and I finally did it.

I wonder what happens next?

2 comments:

  1. Congrats!! How exciting! How did you feel?

    I guess next is a new goal! A race maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, thanks Sue! I felt really proud of myself when I was done, and while those last few minutes were really hard, I have to say the run itself was pretty ok. I felt good during and after.

    I'd like to try doing an organized 5k, but I don't think 5Ks are popular winter activities in the netherlands. I think when I'm on a treadmill, I'll try to shoot for going faster - and when I run outside I'll just focus on time. I think that I can build up to running for 30 minutes, taking 3 minutes to walk, and then running another five minutes or so.

    ReplyDelete