Friday, January 6, 2012

Week Eight, day one - after 10 days without running!

I believe I mentioned how shit the weather has been in my previous post. Well, today I woke up on my last week day of vacation (stay-cation) and the sun was shining brightly, the sky was blue, it wasn't windy, and there were no signs of rain. So I had to. I had to use today to go out and run outside and get back into the program.

The last time I ran was crap - it was week seven, day three, but I didn't do the whole thing. I've been a bit sick over the past week, I've been eating, drinking, and smoking more than than usual, AND just to make things even more fun I got my period. But I figured, well, might as well try to stick to the couch-to-5k schedule and just press ahead with week eight. Today called for:

5 minutes warmup walk
28 minutes non-stop running
5 minutes cooldown walk

People. I did the FULL TWENTY EIGHT MINUTES. I'm in shock. That's 3 minutes longer than my longest outside run, and my last 25-minute non-stop run was... two weeks ago? something like that.

I can't claim that I enjoyed all 28 minutes. When I had about 7 minutes left of the run, I wanted to stop. I wanted to stop with 5 minutes left. 4 minutes. and those last three minutes, I REALLY wanted to stop. but I kept going. and holy god, when I was done, it was hard to get my breathing back on track and start feeling normal again. I did the cooldown walk slowly and paused to stretch here and there. Walking up the stairs to my apartment felt like climbing a mountain. I couldn't tell my boyfriend about the run until after a glass of water and a few minutes of sitting down.

But still! I ran freakin' 28 minutes! That means I have two more minutes to add before I reach my goal. I'm still really skeptical that I'll be able to pull this off on a treadmill... even running through a beautiful city with new scenery and my own music bores me, I can't fathom staying on a treadmill for 35-40 minutes. I want to try because seriously, the weather in Amsterdam is only going to get worse in Jan/Feb. I was lucky with the late autumn.

So I'm going to be late with my goal, but goddammit, I'm going to get there. and maybe one day I'll even like running.

No comments:

Post a Comment